Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Answers and Hope


My main original question was why does Conversion disorder affect people differently? I think I may have the answer! The May 17, 2011 article Conversion Disorder: Advances in Our Understanding in the Canadian Medical Association Journal reports “results suggest that patients with conversion disorder have an abnormal pattern of cerebral activation in which limbic areas (or areas richly connected to the limbic system) override the activation of the motor and sensory cortices.” Wow!


Let me break this down. The limbic system is the part of our brain that controls our emotions.  So the limbic system overrides the parts of the brain that we use to move and sense things. Depending on which part of the brain is overridden is what symptoms are experienced by the patient. Totally makes sense!
Those results are from different studies that were performed with MRI and SPECT scans. The article does state that there needs to be more clinical trials done, but they did research several different studies that have been done.

So let’s move on to my next question. Why is it so hard to diagnose? The answer is that until there is more research done there will be no test for conversion disorder. Studies are starting to show what is happening in the brain, but there is no full explanation for it and no one thing that stands out in all cases. Since the symptoms can easily be something else you can only test for everything possible and then when you find nothing go for the conversion disorder.

Before I go on I think I should explain that conversion disorder is categorized in a group of mental disorders called somatoform disorders. Upon further research I found an article in the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry that was insightful. In the March 2004 article Somatization and Conversion Disorder Dr. Trevor Hurwitz wrote “conversion reactions represent a somatic defense against threats to mental stability that are most commonly attributable to an underlying mood disorder.”  I must say that I get angry when I read this. It is commonly known that conversion disorder is due to mood disorders? We went months with the diagnosis of conversion disorder and nobody even thinking of a mood disorder! My husband got better as soon as he was diagnosed bipolar and treated for it. We wasted months of pain, suffering, and piling up the medical bills when this is common. This makes me furious!


Dr. Hurwitz continues on to say that “physicians are usually baffled and annoyed by patients with conversion disorders and remain too quick to dismiss any new somatic symptom as ‘more of the same’ to the patients’ great detriment.” So basically, I can expect this kind of treatment to continue throughout my husband’s life. Any time he gets sick I can expect to have to convince the doctor that he is sick. This is going to be a fun ride. 


While one of the studies focuses on why conversion disorder happens the other was more focused on past beliefs. I am so glad that we finally have evidence that there is something going on within the brain. It adds more to our argument that this is not "faked" and there is something wrong. At the same time, Dr. Hurwitz hit my experience on the head with the mood disorder. Even so, I feel like he is still looking for a mentally ill patient to be unconciously faking it. He thinks they are looking for attention. He is wrong. My husband and others like him are ashamed for their condition.


Since I refuse to end this on a negative note I wanted to include something that made me feel inspired. It may not add to the research, but those who have struggled with this nasty disorder will feel every bit the way I did.




Image by fndhope.org


I am still left to wonder so much. Why mental illness is not considered the same as a physical illness? How can a doctor see a patient convusing in his examination room and tell him it is all in his head? It may be in my head, but that does not mean it does not need to be corrected! According to my psychologist one out of four people suffers from mental illness. I will find out my mental status next week. All of my family is being tested since it is in our genes. My husband has it from both parents side, and I have an aunt with bipolar. Both of my kids were tested and my daughter is bipolar. I went through the test and will recieve results next week. 

Works Cited


Feinstein, Anthony. "Conversion Disorder: Advances In Our Understanding." CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal 183.8 (2011): 915-920. Academic Search Premier. Web. 17 July 2012.


Hurwitz, Trevor A. "Somatization And Conversion Disorder." Canadian Journal Of Psychiatry 49.3 (2004): 172-178. Academic Search Premier. Web. 17 July 2012.

3 comments:

  1. One day we'll crack the mystery of the brain and all it can do. Until then, those that have neurological disorders will just have to stick together and keep pushing for more studies to be done. I know how frustrating it is to have multiple things wrong, illnesses unexplained, symptoms and pain unexplained, and have the tests all come back negative for what they do know. It is frustrating that so many of the medications that reduce the symptoms or pain also make us sicker in other ways. It was great to have one fantastic ER doc, after many visits and stroke scares, actually test me several different ways, and came up with nothing, still tell me, that although he couldn't find anything, he didn't believe it was all in my head. We can all hope for more like those that are more interested in finding the answers for us than just drugging our symptoms without knowing the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to check back and see how you were coming along with your blog!
    It's weird how much we know about the brain, and yet there's still so much we don't know. Especially about when the brain short circuits, and makes strange connections with parts that should only have minimal interaction. I kind of wonder if conversation disorder may have anything to do with the "flight or fight" system, since it seems to be triggered with stress or by certain things going on within the body.
    Hopefully, one day we will crack the mystery of the brain. Unfortunately for now, the only way to diagnose and confirm so many "brain" problems is through an autopsy. =\

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete