Friday, July 20, 2012

Final Discussion


          After exploring conversion disorder, I have concluded that there is a desperate need for more research into this terrible disorder. There is a sense that since it is a mental illness that it does not deserve the attention and monetary backing that it needs. The research is starting to show that there are problems within the brain that make people more likely to have conversion reactions. I believe that there needs to be some public education especially for our medical providers that mental illnesses are problems within the patient’s brain. These are not to be looked at in a bad light. These patients are sick just like any other disease, and they need to be treated as such.  My sources may have all been about conversion disorder, but I saw many different sides to it. I see how people look at conversion disorder and think that a person can just fix it since it is in their head.  It does seem that my husband’s case is typical because his was brought on by a mood disorder; he is in the fifty to ninety percent that have recovered .  I have also learned that we are getting close to finding out where in the brain the problem is.
As I continue to research and help my family cope, I am not sure what the direct cause of the disorder. I still want to keep up on the research on conversion disorder and be a part of the move to educate others on mental illness. I haven’t found an agreed upon reason for conversion disorder.
 As I look toward the argument essay, I’m still thinking about how my essay should be about mental illnesses and why we should view patients as sick not crazy. Mentally ill patients are not cared for as though they are sick. The very same doctors that we go to in order to feel better make us feel ashamed at our illnesses. This is not acceptable. These people are their patients and are sick. They need the same medical attention you would give to someone who was not suffering from a mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment