Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Why?

The scariest day of my life was in March when my perfectly healthy husband started convulsing. Thankfully both of my children were fast asleep. He refused to go to the hospital since his vitals were stable, so I held him in my arms and just did what I could to keep both of us calm and rational. This led to months of doctors, tests, and incorrect diagnosis which included a Huntington's Disease scare. My husband is the love of my life and my best friend which made this was the hardest road I have ever had to walk. Finally we found psychologist Dr. Stambaugh and he found the right treatment plan for my husband.

Conversion Disorder is a mental disorder where the body will put physical form to any strong emotion, especially stress. It can take different forms for different people. There have been reports of blindness, convulsions, and paralysis, and inability to speak. It can come and go throughout a patient's life, or go away permanently. Each case is different, and so is the treatment.

Image from photobucket.
I have so many questions. Why does Conversion Disorder effect people differently? My hypothesis is that since each of our brains are different we react differently. Why it is so hard to diagnose? Right now it is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means that you are diagnosed with Conversion Disorder when everything else is ruled out. My guess is that there has been very little research on it because there is much we still do not understand about the human brain. Finally, what percentage of people diagnosed with Conversion Disorder and fully recover do not experience the symptoms returning? I plan on using medical pages like Mayo Clinic and scientific papers to try and find the answers. 


This blog is here to explore Conversion Disorder and why it effects people differently. I am excited to explore this with my classmates and anyone else who is curious. This mysterious disorder has turned my world upside down, and I want to know as much as possible about it.

5 comments:

  1. I have a feeling your blog will be very informative for us. I, for one, have never heard of this disorder before. But I do understand how unusual and inexplicable medical problems can lead to lots of questions.

    You should find plenty of sources through the library databases. However, these articles may be difficult to read, as they will be written by doctors/researchers for other doctors.

    You might also see if there are any online support groups dedicated to this disease; that more personal side to the issue could help balance out the scientific findings you will be looking for in library sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow.. I can't even imagine how terrifying that must have been for your family. The human body can be both an amazing and complicated, frustrating thing. The mechanisms that our body uses are absolutely fascinating, but unfortunately can also turn into something scary in the blink of an eye. I'm definitely going to keep checking on your blog. I'm really interested to see what you dig up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa.. I'm an EMT so I've seen a lot seizure cases but I've never heard of this. This seems almost scarier because the girl appears to be consciously aware of what is happening. How awful. I could be wrong on that though. Is your husband consciously aware of what is happening to him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are fully aware the entire time. My husband will talk to me through it. The only way I can explain it is that he sounds like Michael J. Fox when he went off his medication. His vitals remain stable (we have a pulse oximeter), but his movements cannot be controlled.

    It is a very scary thing when someone you love is sick and you do not know the reason. It got scarier before it got better. We went a week thinking it was Huntington's Disease and thinking it would eventually be fatal. That was easily the worst week of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete